This is all a very rough draft and the final poll won't look like this. I would love to have feedback on what I should include or exclude and where I should distribute it.
- What state/region did you last live in?
- What state/region would you most consider your "home" state?
- Annual income
- Education level
- What were your primary reasons for moving abroad?
- What political party would you say most closely fits your personal views?
- Current employment
- Marital status
- Nationality of partner/spouse
- Primary language spoken with partner/spouse
- Do you still vote in US elections?
- Who do you plan to vote for in the 2012 Presidential election?
- Which, if any, of the following expat groups do you follow or belong to?
- Democrats Abroad
- Republicans Abroad
- Isaac Brock Society
- Local expatriate group
- What country do you currently live in?
- How long have you lived in this country?
- When did you leave the US?
- Why did you leave the US?
- How many countries have you lived in?
- Which countries?
- How well do you speak the local language?
- How well do you read the local language?
Relationship to the US
- How likely are you to return to the US?
- How likely are you to acquire citizenship of another country?
- How likely are you to give up your US citizenship?
- If you do, why?
- How often do you visit the US for other than business reasons?
Financial (need more here)
- When you first moved abroad, were you aware if your US tax obligations?
- How did you learn of your US tax obligations?
- Have you missed filing your taxes?
- Have you ever been turned down for a foreign financial account due to your US citizenship?
- Have you had to file an FBAR?
- Have you had to file form 8938 (under Fatca)
1. As of this writing, Overseas Exile is ranked about 189,000 on Alexa stats. That's pretty damned good for a niche blog!