Friday, November 25, 2011

Can You Move to Europe?

Kalypso Nikolaidis - EU
Photo by openDemocracy
The European Union has set up a EU Immigration Portal to let you quickly look up the laws for your immigration role and desired country. It appears to be relatively new and I somehow doubt that they're going to make all of this a model of clarity, but if it were done right, it would make much of Overseas Exile useless.

The immigration profiles are:

  • Family Member
  • Researcher
  • Student
  • Worker

Select the one you want, the

  • Employed worker
  • Highly qualified worker
  • Other
  • Seasonal worker
  • Self-employed worker

And then you select the country for which the above applies. For example, I moved to the UK in 2006 as a highly-skilled worker and in selected that, I get a page with "Conditions" (do you qualify?), "Procedures" (how to qualify), "Rights" (what qualification gives you) and "Links" (where to go for more information).

It's an information gold mine. It appears to be relatively new (I couldn't find it in the Internet Archive) and I'm curious to know if they're going to improve it. Some sections, such as the "Family Member" portions, were a bit disappointing, but if you want to move to Europe, it's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment